Created By: Farmingdale Public Library
The first post office for Farmingdale was established on July 31, 1845. John Monfort was appointed Postmaster by President James K. Polk. The office was out of his house and it served approximately 30 families. In 1927, the first house-to-house mail delivery began with only two mail routes served by Leo Kantor and Frank Gross. Six hundred homes received mail at their door that year. In 1943, Postmaster Frank Talbot moved the post office to 323 Main Street. The building was owned by Lyman Van Nostrand. By 1962, the post office had outgrown its space and was moved to 380 Main Street, where Dr. Ruth Barsh had her office and home. In 2003, it was dedicated to New York City Fire Chief Peter Ganci, who lost his life on 9/11.
This point of interest is part of the tour: View of the Village