Created By: Myrtle Creek Historical Society
On Second Ave north of the Redwood tree, we have the present Myrtle Creek Community Center. This is known as the Schiltz Building and was location of the Myrtle Creek Mail for many years. The Mail has been in continuous publication since 1902 except for a period during World War II. The original publishers of the newspaper were Thurman Chaney and Charles Rice (at a different location than this). Hal & Portia Schiltz published the newspaper in this building and offered other printing services from 1948 to 1974. They were very active in the community and established a trust giving the building to the City for a community center.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historical Sites Downtown Myrtle Creek