Created By: Richardson Historical & Genealogical Society
In 1907, the Houston & Texas Central Railway demolished its original 1873 Richardson depot and built a new, slightly larger one here. This depot, which also handled both passengers and freight, stood until November 1942, when it was torn down by the H.&T.C.'s successor, the Southern Pacific Railroad.
For townspeople, the depot was more than just a train station. Not only did journeys to Dallas and other points begin and end here, but also this was where the U.S. Mail was dropped off and picked up by the town's postmaster, and where the old-timers gathered around a pot-bellied stove on cold winter days to play games like checkers or dominoes and swap gossip.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Downtown Richardson, Texas