Historic Downtown Richardson, Texas

Come see the place where Richardson, Texas was born in 1873 and where almost everything important to its growth and development took place during its first full century

Historic Downtown Richardson, Texas

Richardson, Texas 75080, United States

Created By: Richardson Historical & Genealogical Society

Tour Information

Historic Downtown Richardson was "born" in 1873 when the Houston & Texas Central Railway constructed a depot near where the DART tracks now cross East Main Street and the railroad began selling town lots the following year. Although none of the original wood frame commercial buildings (with the exception of one that was covered with brick) are still standing, a few that were constructed of brick during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries are still standing, largely in the 100 block of East Main Street. Until the mid-1950s, and even for a little while afterward, this was the place where area farmers brought their cotton to be ginned, where townspeople and farm folk all did their shopping, where people embarked or disembarked from journeys on the train or Interurban electric railrway, where the vote to incorporate was taken in 1925, where the City of Richardson had its first city hall, where the town's annual community fair and other events were held, where people came to get their mail, where all the first city services operated from, and where all the town's newspapers were published. In short, this is the "historic heart" of Richardson. Come explore it in this interactive tour!

Tour Map

Loading Tour


What You'll See on the Tour

Here is where Richardson's Interurban electric railway depot stood from 1909, the year after service began, until it was demolished in 1966, to make way for a Firestone tire store and auto repair shop.
Here is the spot where Richardson was "born" in 1873, when the Houston & Texas Central Railway built a small one-story wood frame depot adjacent to the tracks the railroad laid through its right-of-way, now owned by DART (Dallas Area Ra... Read more
In 1907, the Houston & Texas Central Railway demolished its original 1873 Richardson depot and built a new, slightly larger one here. This depot, which also handled both passengers and freight, stood until November 1942, when it was tor... Read more
Built about 1898, this brick building originally served as a dry goods store owned and operated by James N.Thompson and his son, R. E. "Bob" Thompson. Before that, a wood frame farm supply store, operated by the Patrons of Husbandry, better... Read more
During the early years of the twentieth century, this portion of the brick building at 101-103 East Main Street was a separate hardware store, then later a cafe.
This small brick ediface, known by early townspeople as the Crosby Building, was built in 1909. During the first Richardson Community Fair, in 1922, it was used for a display of antiques and home goods. Over the years, it has housed a varie... Read more
This unique brick building, which features an Alamo-like pediment, was constructed in 1916 as an auto repair garage and gas station. From 1887 to the early twentieth century, a wood frame hardware store with false front stood here. Over the... Read more
This 25-foot wide space between 107 East Main and 111 E Main is called "Walton's Alley" because it once offered access to Walton's Lumberyard, which occupied the space behind these buildings where there is a parking lot today. Walton's Lumb... Read more
Built in 1898, this two-story brick building is one of the most historic in downtown Richardson. Originally, the local "Eureka" chapter of the International Order of Odd Fellows operated a meeting hall on the second floor, which they allowe... Read more
This brick structure stands on the site of an earlier wood frame building, which was used as a drugstore, first by Dr. W. E. Rucker and then by the Harben family, who caused the present brick structure to be built in 1911. Dr. Rucker bought... Read more
This building, which is currently part of the Tavern on Main Street, was constructed about 1924. Henry and Katie Pistole purchased this lot on March 26, 1906 from the Houston & Texas Central Railway. On November 29, 1906, Sam P. Harben ... Read more
The rather non-descript modern building was constructed in 1965 on the site of an earlier wood frame building that housed a variety of commercial enterprises over the decades, including a cafeteria and a laundry.
This non-descript modern building was constructed in 1955. It has housed a variety of commercial enterprises over the years.
This rather unique building was constructed in 1939 to serve as a U.S. Post Office under the direction of local postmaster Clint Wallis. It was the town's first post office to be built especially for that purpose. All previous post offices ... Read more
What appears to be two separate buildings is actually one structure divided into two businesses. Both occupy the site of Thomas Newton "Newt" Harris' barber shop, which was operated out of a wood frame building on this site from 1906, when ... Read more
This tiny wood frame building, covered with brick, is the oldest commercial building in Richardson. It was constructed about 1895, apparently after early Richardson resident "Brack Lothridge bought the lot from J. M. Stratton. It could actu... Read more
These two side-by-side brick buildings were constructed sometime between 1910 and 1920. The one that fronts Texas Street as well as East Main was the McKamy-Reddick Grocery Store on June 27, 1925, when the citizens of Richardson used it as ... Read more
The side of the building that stands at 100 East Main Street marks the site of four of Richardson's earliest businesses, all wood frame buildings--two general stores, a grocery store, and a drugstore--that were constructed during the late 1... Read more
This parking lot marks the site of one of Richardson's early post offices, operated by Mrs. Sarah Allen (formerly Howser) from 1902 to 1911, when her appointment expired. She also lived here. The post office occupied only the front part of ... Read more
Built in 1956, this structure served as Richardson's United States Post Office until 1963, when a new one was built on the west side of Highway 75/Central Expressway, at Lockwood and Custer Road.


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.