Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
120 North Cayuga Street, built circa 1830
When this Greek Revival building first opened, it was called one of the best hotels west of the Hudson River. The so-called founder of Ithaca, Simeon DeWitt, lived in the hotel when visiting Ithaca and died in the building in 1834. The building was survived multiple fires and had numerous renovations and remodelings over the years. Although Ira Tillotson was likely the original architect, William Henry Miller did the Second Empire style remodeling in 1872 and Clinton Vivian did the Colonial Revival renovation in 1901. The building ceased to be a hotel in 1973 and today is home to the New Roots charter school.
This point of interest is part of the tour: William Henry Miller Downtown Architecture Walking Tour