Created By: Farmingdale Public Library
The theatre opened on January 30, 1942. It was designed by John Eberson, an internationally acclaimed architect in theatre planning. Sidney Jacobsen was the manager of the theatre. It had a loge that seated 135, where speaking was permitted and seats for 800 on the main level. Two murals were painted on each side by Oscar Glascot. On October 26, 1950, a fire completely gutted the theatre. A newly built theatre re-opened on July 4, 1951. It closed its doors in the mid-1980s due to the development of cable TV, rental movies, and multi-screen complexes.
This point of interest is part of the tour: View of the Village