Created By: Ithaca Heritage
313 North Aurora Street, built in 1890
Sometimes referred to as the Livermore Memorial Building, this home was built as a private residence for cobbler Charles G. Hoyt. The building was purchased by George Livermore, founder of Ithaca Gun Company, in 1902. His son, Paul, gave the building to Ithaca Community Chest in 1952, which is now the United Way of Tompkins County. Originally built with Eastlake style detailing, William Henry Miller remodeled it in 1894 and combined Queen Anne features like the tower with Colonial Revival details including the paired Doric columns on the porch and Palladian window in the main gable. Note the lion’s head medallion on the second story, which is repeated inside the house on the original dining room table and chairs. There is also an elaborate carriage house behind the main house.
This point of interest is part of the tour: William Henry Miller Downtown Architecture Walking Tour