Created By: Farmingdale Public Library
The Town of Oyster Bay established local offices in larger hamlets in the late 1800s so residents would not have to make the trip to Oyster Bay. Farmingdale was one of these offices. The Village arranged to rent the office after its incorporation in 1904. In 1923, the Village purchased the building. The building was later razed and the decision to build a new one was not an easy one in 1930 considering it was during the Great Depression. The first proposition to build a hall/firehouse failed. On March 17, 1931, a second vote was held, with a smaller bond, and this easily passed. The new facility was ready for occupancy in January of 1932. The first regular meeting was held on January 11.
This point of interest is part of the tour: View of the Village