Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
Located at 34 Seneca Street is the William Austin House. This elegant Second Empire-style home was constructed in 1870 for William Austin (1832-1909) and his family. Austin served as a lieutenant colonel of the 109th Volunteer New York Volunteer Infantry during the Civil War. Following his military service, Austin became a prominent lawyer in Trumansburg. After the death of his wife Ann Eliza Allen Austin (born circa 1846-1847) in 1916, the home passed to their grown daughters. The building underwent a complete restoration during the early 2000s. The character of the building is defined by a slate-clad Mansard roof, asymmetric window dormers, and polychromatic brick masonry. The silhouette of the Mansard roof is mimicked by the roof above the porch. The William Austin House is listed on the New York State and National Register of Historic Places.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Village of Trumansburg