Created By: Riverview Memory Gardens
The Military Building is one of the two buildings moved from the Defiance College Campus. These buildings were constructed in the 1930's as a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) project and used as barracks for its workers. They were later used as POW barracks during WWII housing mostly German prisoners who worked in Defiance's factories and farms. Many reportedly stayed in Defiance. The POW's also planted the numerous Red Bud trees which line 424 near Independence Dam. The Military Building was used post WWII as the Hickory Hut - a dining area for Defiance College students.
The buildings were moved to AuGlaize Village in 1971. The Military Museum was named in honor of William Bensinger (who settled in McComb, OH) who was a member of the 21st Ohio Volunteer Infantry and involved in the "Great Locomotive Chase" during the Civil War. He was awarded the 2nd every presented Congressional Medal of Honor. The Military Museum houses an extensive collection from the GAR, a very popular and active club for veteran's of the Civil War. There are displays from Fort Defiance, WWII, the Korean War, Vietnam and more.
This point of interest is part of the tour: AuGlaize Village Tour