Williams House

DeWitt Park Historic District

Williams House

Ithaca, New York 14850, United States

Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County

Point of Interest Details

Roger B. Williams, president of the First National Bank, engaged Ithaca architect Clinton L. Vivian to build his home in 1906. Although it could be labeled Colonial Revival, the architectural style is also referred to as American Renaissance, based on the rich, careful assembly of classically inspired architectural elements such as the raised basement faced with random-coursed ashlar, the use of brick veneer at the first story, the two-story corner, pilasters, and the steeply pitched hip roof. Detailing is derived from Georgian and Federal styles. The heavy semicircular bay on an elliptical entrance porch and curved windows of leaded glass flanking the door suggest the very opulent interior. Inside, elegant branching staircases curve up to the second-floor gallery, above which is a domed skylight of blue and pink marbleized glass. The dormer contains a group of windows in a Palladian motif, perhaps Vivian's favorite architectural signature.

This point of interest is part of the tour: DeWitt Park Historic District


 

Leave a Comment

 


 

Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide

 


 

Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.