Monuments and Markers Tour - Southport, NC

Markers and monuments in the Southport historic district.

Monuments and Markers Tour - Southport, NC

Southport, North Carolina 28461, United States

Created By: Southport Historical Society

Tour Information

Welcome to Southport, NC

You are invited to learn more about Southport by visiting the monuments and markers located throughout the historic areas of Southport. The Southport Historical Society is proud to provide this tour information for our visitors.


Tour Map

Loading Tour

 

What You'll See on the Tour

History of the Old Brunswick County Jail (1904 - 1978). Marker location: At the picket fence to the right of the Old Jail on East Nash Street. Sponsored by the Southport Historical Society. ...
History of the Wilmington Brunswick &Southern railroad and the 1866 establishment of St. James A.M.E.Z. as the oldest African American church in Southport. Located at the SE corner of Rhett and Nash streets.  Sponsored by the Southpo... Read more
History and highlights of the Old Smithville Burying Ground. Marker located along the fence on Rhett Street.  Sponsored by the Southport Historical Society.
Benjamin Smith (January 10, 1756 – January 26, 1826) was the 16th governor of the state of North Carolina from 1810 to 1811.
Robert Howe (1732 – 1786) was a Continental Army general from the Province of North Carolina during the American Revolutionary War. The descendant of a prominent family in North Carolina, Howe was one of five generals, and the o... Read more
Ten Southport pilots lost at sea. Five were lost in 1872 and five more in 1877.
This hideout of the "Gentleman" pirate, Stede Bonnet, was the site of a 1718 battle in which he was captured and hung. Other notable pirates often frequented the area. Spnsored by the City of Southport.
History of the fishing industry in Southport. Marker located in front of shrubbery at the walkway to the pier. Sponsored by the Southport Historical Society.
History of the ship quarantine station located on the Cape Fear River. Marker located in front of shrubbery at the walkway to the pier.  Sponsored by the Southport Historical Society. ...
The C.B. Caroon Crab Company was one of the largest in Coastal Carolina. Marker located in front of shrubbery at the walkway to the pier.  Sponsored by the Southport Historical Society. ...
Starting in 1915, the shrimping industry was a vital part of commercial Southport. Marker is located at the front of a small park on the south side of E. Bay Street at the foot of Atlantic Avenue.  Sponsored by the Southport Historical S... Read more
Sponsored by Coastal Water Watch this marker describes birds nesting on Battery Island. Marker is located in a small park on the south side of East Bay Street at the foot of Atlantic Avenue.
Marker placed in 1938 by the NC Daughters of the Wor of 1812. On the grass in the front of the Southport Community Building.
Fort Johnston - Josiah Martin last colonial governor of North Carolina evacuated to Fort Johnston and then to a ship in the harbor to evade capture by the colonials. Sponsored by the State of North Carolina. Maker is located on the north si... Read more
Marker details the role that blockade runners had in keeping the Confederacy alive during 1864 into early 1865 when Fort Fisher was captured. The maker is located on the Fort Johnston lawn. Sponsored by Civil War Trails.
Placed in 1911 to commenorate the importance of Fort Johnston by the North Carolina Colonials Dames of America.
Joshua Martin was the last colonial governor of North Carolina. Sponsored by the State of North Carolina.
Map of first 100 lots of Smithville and role of Joshua Potts. Sponsored by the Southport Historical Society.
Jesse Stevens served as the weather flag volunteer for over 60 years. Sponsored by the U.S. Army Friends (1965)
The lighthouse on Bald Head Island, planning for which began in 1783, was the first one authorized in North Carolina. Sponsored by the state of North Carolina.
Peace Poll comemorating 9/11. Sponsored by the Trinity United Methodist Church.
Granite river map indicating historical landmarks on Bald Head, Battery Island, and Oak Island. Sponsored by the Southport Rotary Club. Marker is located near the eastern end of River Front Park.
Comemorating the sinking of the JOHN D. GILL by a German Uboat on 3/12/1942.  Seaman Catalino Tingzon is buried in the Northwood Cemetery. Sponsored by the Southport Historical Society.
Two sided marker with historic events of the Cape Fear Region and protect the river message. Sponsored by Coastal Water Watch. The marker is Located near western end of River Front Park.
Historical marker sponsored by the Southport Historical Society. Marrker is located on the river side of the bench and tree. Sponsored by the Southport Historical Society.
250 year history of the Southport river pilots who bring ships safely into the Port of Wilmington. Sponsored by the Southport Historical Society. Marker is located along the sidewalk just to the west of the Pilots' Tower. Sponsored by the ... Read more
The lifeline of the confederacy. by 1864 blockade runners had made Wilmington one of the most important cities in the South. Sponsored by the Southport Historical Society. Marker is located on the south side of West Bay Street.
A sister ship of the CSS Virginia (Merrimack), the CSS North Carolina sunk off of Battery Island. Sponsored by the Southport Historical Society.
Built after the Civil War by blockade running river pilot, Thomas Mann Thompson. Sponsored by the Southport HIstorical Society. The marker is located on the south side of W. Bay Street at the foot of Caswell Avenuu. 
Protect the animals that live in the salt marsh. Sponsored by Coastal Water Watch. The marker is located on the Salt Marsh Boardwalk from near the western end of Brunswick Street to the gazebo on the salt marsh. Sponsored by Coastal Water W... Read more
Protect the waterways, which are the life blood of aquatic life in the salt marsh. The marker is located at the end of the Salt Marsh Boardwalk from near the western end of Brunswick Street to the gazebo on the salt marsh. Sponsored by Coa... Read more
Located on former 1855 plantation owned by Bryan Morse and family. 
From 1929 through the late 1950s the Brunswick County Training school was the only K-12 school for African American students. Sponsored by the Southport Historical Society. The marker is located on Owens Street in front of the current Bruns... Read more
African American churches located on Lord Street. Marker is located at the southwest corner of Lord and Owens Street. Sponsored by the Southport Historical Society.
Black businesses trived in this area durin the first half of the 20th Century. Sponsored by the Southport Historical Society. Marker is located in the middle of the block on the west side of Howe Street. 
This land was set aside for the people shortly after Smithville (Southport) was chartered in 1792. Sponored by the Southport Historical Society.  The marker is located at the southeast corner of East West and Howe streets.
Masonic Lodge constructed in the 1850s used as a Masonic Lodge, a school and an Army Navy Club during WW I. Sponsored by the Southport Historical Society. The marker is located in the southwest of the Masonic Hall lawn.
Ormond Leggett, Chief  Southport Fire Department 1934 - 1977

 

Leave a Comment

 


 

Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide

 


 

Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.