Created By: Coleman Memorial Museum
115 3rd Ave. N. Original Presbyterian Church / Zion Lutheran Church
Individuals and families of Scottish heritage played an outsized social and cultural role in the early years of Ellendale.
The Presbyterian Church was home to much of this dynamism. This ”Concert of Ye Olden Tyme” graphic was at the top of a broadsheet advertising an ecumenical community gathering held there in November 1883, two weeks before the building was formally dedicated. The full broadsheet is evidence of the appreciation for humor and culture that these settlers brought from their previous homes in states like Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Ohio, and New York. It can be viewed here: http://bit.ly/1883concert
The Presbyterians worshiped here until 1927, when the building was sold to the Evangelical Lutheran Society and the building became home to the Zion Lutheran congregation. In 1954, the Zion congregation, having long outgrown this facility, dedicated its fine new building at 121 2nd St. S.
Subsequently the building was used for living quarters, and today it houses apartments.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Ellendale - Tour of the Core City - Copy (Backup made @ 12:30 PM June 20)