Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
The Fall Creek neighborhood is located near the northeast corner of the City of Ithaca. It lies on Military Lot 94 and on parts of Military Lot 88 and what was once known as the Bloodgood tract.
Several waterfalls, including Ithaca Falls, provided water power that led to the development of industry along Fall Creek in the early 1800s. Soon, Fall Creek became a manufacturing center in Ithaca. Sawmills, oil mills, gristmills, paper mills, and other enterprises populated the edge of the creek during the nineteenth century. The Fall Creek neighborhood was also home to companies such as the Ithaca Gun Company and the Ithaca Calendar Clock Company.
The growth of Fall Creek’s residential neighborhood began mostly in the second half of the nineteenth century. As more residences appeared, so did small businesses, a fire station, and a school. The first Fall Creek school was a small brick building on Queen Street. In 1878, architect Alvah B. Wood designed a new building for the current site of Fall Creek Elementary School. The school building that stands today replaced Wood’s schoolhouse in 1966.
This point of interest is part of the tour: HistoryForge Day 2017: Connecting the Generations