Created By: Visit Madison, Inc.
413 E. 2nd Street. This church was founded in 1850 for German-speaking Catholics who did not feel at home at St. Michael's. The church had no furnace or stove and no empty pews at high mass! German was used exclusively in services. It was enlarged to its present size in 1860, and in 1876 a red brick school was built next door run by the Sisters of Charity. The church is now Prince of Peace, an active church.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Churches Walking Tour