Burlington Iowa Jefferson Street

Enjoy your day experiencing Burlingtons Historic places too shop and eat!

Burlington Iowa Jefferson Street

Burlington, Iowa 52601, United States

Created By: Heritage Hill Association

Tour Information

Burlington, IA is a great place to spend some time! Jefferson street is the main street in Burlington for Shopping and Dining. It has been that way since 1833. As you walk look-up at the Historic facades. The Burlington era of high growth and business stability was 1895 to 1929. This was during the Gilded Age. Many people from Boston, New York, and Washington came here to seek their fortunes in business. Burlington was the well-established gateway to the "Gold" and other opportunities the Western Territories offered.

Tour Map

Loading Tour


What You'll See on the Tour

210 John David building

This brick building was originally constructed in 1870. In the 1870s and 1890s, it had a real estate, doctors, and Lawyers offices. This building had segmented arch windows above the second floor. The top floor had an ornate metal façade... Read more
218 Schramm Building

J.S. Schramm first opened its doors in 1845 with a stock of Dress and Fancy Goods. Iowa was not yet a state and Burlington was only 12 years old. The first Schramm store was at the corner of Main and Columbia. The current building houses... Read more
300 Rand/Ranke/Tama Building

E. D. Rand built this building for manufacturing upholstered furniture and wholesale-retail sales for that furniture as well as carpets, curtains, damask and wallpaper. The main building is 90 feet from the curb to the cornice. The found... Read more
310 H. A. Brown Building

In 1895 this building was built by Chittenden and Eastman Furniture Manufactures to be a showroom for their furniture. It had many tenets. Troxel Bros furniture was the first in 1896. The next tenet was Brown Shoes followed by White Furnit... Read more
312 Gypsi women's clothing

This building was built in 1867 by Hedge-Ransom-Palmer. The first tenant was a Fur and Hat store followed by a Worlds Fair store in 1892. It is currently occupied by Gypsi's Women's Accessories store.
314 "Diggers" Coffee Shop

1874 to 1880 This was the Suprise Millinery store. It remained a Millinery store until 1905. From 1912 to 1958 it was F.W. Woolworths. The upper floor was a dentist office. Currently, it is a coffee shop that serves food and coffee.​ ...
416 The "LOFT"

From 1893 to 1934 this building was the John Boesch Department store. Then it became the Zephyr Theatre. Currently, it is owned by the Methodist Church. The first floor is a Trade Free store and meeting room. The second floor is a banquet r... Read more
420 "Mundt" Piano

This building was built to be a Masonic lodge which was on the 3rd floor in 1883. The first floor was a boot and shoe company "Droegmeyer"  from 1884 to 1893. It was followed by John Boesch Department store 1893 to 1934. The first floor is... Read more
500 "Bent River Brewing"

In 1890 G.W.Turner, flour/feed/fruit was located here. In 1928 fire broke out here. J.C. Penny rebuilt the building with a Spanish roof garden. It was J.C. Penny's from 1928 until 1970. The current owner is Bent River group. They have a Br... Read more
514 "Uptown Ivy" Bakery and Restaurant

In 1869 four brick stores were built here by J. Forney and Samuel Mellinger. First tenants were Kiesling bakery, Bickenbach (Saddles and Harnesses) and Buettner Co. In the years following 1900, there were Singer Sewing Machines, Grocers, C... Read more
520-Buttner Co. - Original Cyn's

1869 Charles Buettner & Co occupied 520 Jefferson. This was followed by William d. Fritts Drugs.  In 1892 Singer Manufacturing did business here. In 1906 you could buy Cigars at Gebhard Schupps. In 1916 you could attend a show at the ... Read more
608 Dehner Seed

in 1895 W. F. Hayden built these buildings. 1n 1889 The Bee Hive was located here. 1907 Burrus sold granite and marble monuments. 1919 Dehner Seed and supply started here. Currently, new opportunities are available here. The architecture ha... Read more
622 Fritts Brothers Drug Store Currently Lindo Mexico

In 1870 you could get your pharmacy needs met at Fritts Brothers Drug Store. Ezra Narnan had a clothing store here in 1922. George W. Hauber sold harness/saddles here in 1907. in 1928 this store sold groceries under the FARMERS Store name.... Read more
623 Hope Haven store

This is a wonderful not-for profit store supporting the HOPEHAVEN Mission.
613 / 615 The Paddle Wheel Lounge

In 1873 this building was built by Andres Ganz. After a fire, a saloon was built and Wells and Hirsch hide's occupied this space. David Schenk sold cigars out of here in 1880. In 1840's a Tavern and restaurant as well as a coffee shop locat... Read more
611 Coleen's Hidden Gems Boutique

Henry Beck built this building in 1874. Mort G. Steece was a pharmacist here. In 1907 Augusta Deterick sold millinery goods here. It was a tea shop in 1928. 1948 it became a tea shop named Benner Tea. The current owner has a hidden gems b... Read more
517 Olive Wine / 1886 Lattner Ice Cream/restaurant

1882 was the construction time for this building. It was built for G.B. Carpenter that had Hawkeye tin shop here. The Bee Hive department store came in 1899. In 1928 it became a confection store. Mallandt tailors resided here from 1906 to ... Read more
515 Primitive Antiques / 1892 Petit & Clark Grocers

This space is the second half of the building built by G.B. Carpenter in 1882. The first tenant was THE FAIR store 1885. In 1913 it became Gately Herring Department store. 1950 it was the Mode of Day store. The current occupant is a vinta... Read more
511 Train Shop - 1892 Steinbrecher & Hertzler Boots/Shoes

In 1885 the lot was bought by Lewis M. Runyan.  In 1886-the first tenant was Steinbrecher and Hertzler who sold Boots and shoes.  1900 May Himmelrich sold millinery goods. The 1920s Joseph H Coe sold dry goods.  1930's Waxenberg's sold ... Read more
423 Nature's Corner/Lauer Building

1867 was the year this series of buildings were built by A. Lauer and sons. 1870's the Krieg flour & feeds groceries was located here. in 1890 a famous clothing house was located here - L. Hirsch and son. This was followed in 1902 by ... Read more
417 C Sky

1868 Caswell & Strong drug store was at this location. This was followed by Fishbeck's meats in 1875. 1896 this became Henry Droegemeyers boots and shoes. This was followed by B&F Cigar store from 1928 until 1970. The current busin... Read more
413 Country Friend 1867 Runyan Building

In 1867 this building was built for L.M. Runyan as a Grocery. 1887-1890's it was Henry Leicht-Little Market-Grocery. 1920 it changed to J.H. Williams Co (Cigars).2013 it became Country Friends (Gift and Hallmark cards shop). 
411 Weird Harolds / The Medium /1892 Latona Mills coffee and spices

This building can into being in 1875. The Wehmeir brothers started as a wholesale flour and retail grocer. !892 to 1910 there were many occupants. Latona Mills coffee and Spices, Iowa Clothing company 2nd floor, saloon and bakery in the bas... Read more
319 Law's Jewelry

January 1904 original three-story building that stood here burnt. from 1928 until 1936 Baurnie-Anderson Jewelry was here. In 1938 Burlington Federal Savings and Loan Association was here. In 1952 the Burlington Federal remodeled the front ... Read more
313 Paule Jewelry / 1870 John Smalley's Plunder Store

In 1870 John Smalley had a notions, millinery and fancy goods store here. This store was destroyed by fire in 1890. In 1891 Arthur Adams opened a shoe store here in a new building. In 1896 this building became James W. Smithers retail can... Read more
308 Red Screen Door

The first tenant for 308 Jefferson was Troxel Furniture store in 1896. Troxel was here until 1926. 1926 until 1930 it was White Furniture. 1936 until 1964 Neisner Brothers Five and Dime was here. Brown Shoes occupied the space from 1968... Read more
305 Burlington By the Book

In 1861 Charles Walden opened a Jewelry, Watches and Silverware store here. He had two employees and did $15,000 worth of business in 1861.  The current occupant is Burlington By the Book. It is an independant book store with  a lot of lo... Read more
301 Art Center of Burlington

In 1958 F.W.Woolworth opened a first-floor store, with a mezzanine level. Woolworth operated here from 1958 until 1988. In 2012 the Art Guild moved into the eastern part of the building. 
221 Farmers Bank and Trust

1912 The Iowa State bank was built here. It had 8 stories of steel frame construction.In 1935 Farmers Bank and trust was moved here. Famers Bank and Trust currently operate's here.
215 Yoga for You

S. S. Ransom built a tall three-story building here in 1871.   Fix & Conner Jewelers was here in 1871. 1910 brought E.M. Glick's Ladies ready to wear clothes here. Carsons Credit Clothing came here in the 1940's. A sandwich shop was ... Read more
404 Eclectic Design / 1876 H.S. Ball Watchmaker

Ball watchmaker was the first store in this location. This was followed in 1883 by Frank Mckim(Drygoods), 1886 George C. Muir (Music), 1887 Joseph and Ellia Stahle (Millinery & Fancy Good), 1966 Waldhoff Drug company, 1972 Neff's Shoes... Read more


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.