Downtown Cincinnati - Anne D. Steinert

Covers downtown Cincinnati from Central to Walnut and Fourth to Sixth.

Downtown Cincinnati - Anne D. Steinert

Cincinnati, Ohio 45202, United States

Created By: Anne Steinert

Tour Information

Tour developed for the Society for Commercial Archaeology Conference October 2017


Tour Map

Loading Tour

 

What You'll See on the Tour

1
Carew Tower Arcade

The Carew Tower was built in 1930 by local developer Thomas Emery and Sons.  The ground-breaking multi-use building included a department store, hotel, offices, parking garage, shopping, and multiple restaurants.  The entire complex, whic... Read more
2
Tyler Davidson Fountain

The Tyler Davidson Fountain was donated to the City of Cincinnati by Henry Probasco in memory of his brother-in-law hardware merchant Tyler Davidson in 1871.  The fountain was originally placed in a plaza in the middle of the street, but m... Read more
3
Contemporary Art Center and Cincinnatian Hotel

Look to the right to see the Lois and Richard Rosenthal Center for Contemporary Art at the corner of Sixth and Walnut Streets.  The building was designed by Zaha Hadid who won a 1997 design competition of 97 entries.  The two other finali... Read more
4
Terrace Plaza Hotel

The Terrace Plaza Hotel, financed by developer John J. Emery, was designed by Natalie De Blois and Gordon Bunshaft at Skidmore Owings and Merrill and completed in 1948.  This early modernist design featured two department stores, Bonds and... Read more
5
Shillitos

John Shillito moved his dry goods business four times before opening the store you see here in 1879.  The building was designed by Cincinnati architect James McLaughlin. At the time of its construction it was the largest department store u... Read more
6
Convention Center Mural

This 2013 mural, "The Hands that Built this City," designed by Jenny Ustick and completed by the Artworks youth apprentices features the hands of workers in the Union Terminal mosaic murals by Winold Weiss with the addition of three modern ... Read more
7
Convention Center Charlie Harper Murals

This mural, entitled Spacewalk and influenced by the moon landing, is the work of Cincinnati-based artist Charley Harper.  Harper completed the mural in 1970, but it was covered over with drywall in 1987 and only uncovered in 2015. The mur... Read more
8
Conventoin Center Albee Remnant

This remnant of the Albee Theater on Fifth Street across from Fountain Square was worked into the facade design the convention center. The Albee was demolished in 1977 and the arch was added to the convention center during a 1986 renovation... Read more
9
Convention Center Union Termninal Murals and Central Avenue Block from Kenyon Barr

Cincinnati's Union Terminal originally included a rear concourse which, like the rest of the building, featured mosaic murals by Winold Weiss.  When the concourse was demolished to accommodate piggy back freight traffic in 1972, these mura... Read more
10
West Fourth Street

This block features multiple intact buildings from the late nineteenth century.  Key among them is the Lombardy Building opened in 1885.  The building was designed by Samuel Hannaford and financed by developer Thomas Emery and Sons. ...
11
Cincinnati Gas Light and Coke and Gibson Building

The Cincinnati Gas Light and Coke Building was built in 1870 to serve as the corporate headquarters for our local power company. It was designed by local architect James McLaughlin. An addition was added in 1902. Across the street the Gibso... Read more
12
Federal Reserve Building

The Federal Reserve Building built in 1927 was the home of the Cincinnati Branch of the Federal Reserve of Cleveland until it moved down Fourth Street in 1977.  The building was built by the Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce with the Federal ... Read more
13
McAlpins/Hershedes/Lincoln National Bank

At 13 West Fourth was originally Shillitos, designed by James McLaughlin in 1857 but was taken over by McAlpins when Shillitos moved north to Seventh Street. in 1879. Next door was originally the Robert Mitchell Furniture Company designed b... Read more
14
Union Central Life Tower, the Ingalls Building and the Roebling Suspension Bridge

The Union Central Life Insurance company was founded in 1867 by the Methodist Church.  The building was designed by Cass Gilbert (architect of the Woolworth Building) in 1913 with help from local architects Garber and Woodward.  At 34 sto... Read more
15
Daniel Burnham Skyscrapers and Dixie Terminal

Cincinnati is home to four late Daniel Burnham Skyscrapers.  They are: Union Central Bank and Trust/Schmidlapp Building/Bartlett Building - 1902 First National Bank Building/Clopay Building/Fourth and Walnut Center - 1903 The Fourth Nation... Read more
16
Cincinnati Gas and Electric

This new headquarters for Cincinnati Gas and Electric Company was built in 1930 and designed by John Russell Pope with the local firm Garber and Woodward.  The rear addition was added 15 years later.
17
Merchantile Library and Traction Building

The Mercantile Library formed in 1835 as a men's lending library. The library was originally located on Pearl Street, but moved to this location in 1845.  The original building on this site was the Cincinnati College Building which had gra... Read more

 

Leave a Comment

 


 

Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide

 


 

Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.