Saltcoats, Saskatchewan, Canada

Saltcoats, Sask. is a small old town with an interesting history.

Saltcoats, Saskatchewan, Canada

Saltcoats, Saskatchewan S0A 3R0, Canada

Created By: Saltcoats Beautification Committee

Tour Information

Welcome. Well come!

The fortunes of a community are often determined by factors well beyond the community’s control. Saltcoats was quickly established as a community of growth, surrounded by rich farmlands, a destination for settlers from many different countries. The town was situated on the shores of Anderson Lake and positioned as a commercial community on a major national railroad. Yorkton, under thirty miles north-west, soon benefitted as other rail routes would intersect within that town and as agricultural settlements continued to grow to that centre’s north and west. Severe drought during some of the years in the 1890’s caused an exodus of discouraged or displaced farmers and also of businesses established to serve them. The War of 1914-1918 saw a large number of young men from the community serve in the armed services. Over 80 young men from town and rural area would lose their lives in the 53 months of that conflict. Many others returned wounded, ill, traumatized. Throughout the decades of the community’s history its people have prized community involvement and voluntarism, neighbourliness and a determination to create the kind of community we’re proud to call home. Welcome. Well come!

Many of the storys and information come from Saltcoats History Book - Saltcoats Roots and Branches.


Tour Map

Loading Tour

 

What You'll See on the Tour

Saltcoats Historic Cemetery Located on Highway 16 West of Saltcoats. We visit a cemetery for different reasons.  Sometimes it is to visit a family grave or seek family heritage information.  Saltcoats Historical Cemetery, serving Town an... Read more
Immigration Hall  - A very large fieldstone, with a historical plaque on it, marks the area where a large shed-type building existed in the the1880s - 1890s. It was built to house the many immigrants who came to Saltcoats to find their ho... Read more
Train Station and Railway Historical Silhouette  Located on a power pole in the 200 block of High Street The Manitoba and North Western Railway arrived in Saltcoats in 1888. It was the “end of the line” or “end of the steel” before... Read more
This circular garden includes many different varieties of peony plants. Shirley Bradford was an avid gardener and left a legacy in this garden.  "Come sit with me in the garden my friend, and look at all the memories we've made." A Bench... Read more
Prairie Sentinels Historical Silhouette   On a power pole west end of Commercial St. In the early 1900s, Saltcoats had one of its greatest boosts in the building of the Saltcoats Flour Mill, with a warehouse and an attached grain elevator ... Read more
Century Garden – the stone circle – west end of Commercial St. The Century Garden, constructed in 2005 to mark the 100th Anniversary of Saskatchewan becoming a province is offered as a tribute to all the pioneers and to all community bu... Read more
Treaty 4 Silhouette Located on a power pole far west end of Commercial St. This silhouette is in the shape of the province of Saskatchewan. It highlights the Treaty 4 Territory that Saltcoats is part of, including the date when Treaty 4 was... Read more
Scottish Dancers Historical Silhouette – on a power pole 100 block Commercial St. The following excerpt written by J.A. (Scotty) MacDonald and found in Saltcoats  Roots and Branches “At 5:30 a.m., Sunday, April 20th, 1889, an immigrant... Read more
9
TBA
Sorry, there wasn't any information provided for this point of interest.
Telephone Lineman Historical Silhouette Located on a power pole 200 block Commercial St. Directly across the road from this banner is the little brick building that first housed the telephone offices in Saltcoats. The Saltcoats District Tel... Read more
North West Mounted Police Historical Silhouette Located on a power pole at the corner of Commercial St. and Glasgow Ave. In 1873 the government of Sir John A. Macdonald created the North West Mounted Police to assert Canadian sovereignty ... Read more
 Saltcoats and District Community Hall Location 203 Glasgow Avenue. The three murals on the front of the hall illustrate the different halls in Saltcoats at this location. In the first painting is the Legion Hall, which was situated where ... Read more
-          located on a power pole at the corner of Commercial and Glasgow Ave. The settlers who came from Eastern Europe, were ethnically diverse due to the shifting of the borders of Ukraine, Russia, Hungary,  Austria, and littl... Read more
The Resting Place Mini Park Located on the corner of Commercial and Allen Ave. This is a lovely, treed lot in the heart of downtown with a bench on which to rest and relax. The large spruce trees are decorated with Christmas lights in Dece... Read more
  Welsh Historical Silhouette On a power pole in the 300 block Commercial Street.  A group of Welsh, approximately 400 people from Patagonia, South America arrived by train in Saltcoats, Assiniboia, N.W.T. in the early morning of June 28,... Read more
17
TBA
Sorry, there wasn't any information provided for this point of interest.
Plowing Competition Historical Silhouette On a power pole in the 400 block Commercial Street. Plowing Associations were organized. The Cut Arm Ploughing Association was one of the largest in this area. It held its organizational meeting on ... Read more
Lakeside Scene – “A Little Bit of Paradise” Historical Silhouette On a power pole lake end of Commercial St. Anderson Lake, often referred to as Saltcoats Lake, is named after William Anderson. Mr. Anderson was the first to settle in ... Read more
“We Remember and Honour All” Historical Silhouette On a power pole beside the Cenotaph at the East end of Commercial St.  A tribute to the men and women who served in past conflicts and wars, in military and policing service in times o... Read more
Saltcoats Cenotaph Located on the East end of Commercial St. In a lovely setting, overlooking Anderson Lake, the Saltcoats, and District War Memorial was erected in 1920 in honour of the 79 men who paid the supreme sacrifice in the 1914-191... Read more
  Western Tiger Salamanders The Western Tiger Salamander is Saskatchewan’s only salamander species.  They are amphibians spending part of their life on land, and part in the water.   Adults may vary in size from 3 to 9 inches.  Breed... Read more
23
TBA
Sorry, there wasn't any information provided for this point of interest.
Mural on the Post Office wall – corner of Commercial St. and Allan Ave. This is a mural showing features of three different eras and the three buildings that have housed the post office in Saltcoats. “I heard it at the Post Office”. T... Read more
Bank Historical Silhouette On a power pole in the 100 block of Commercial St. This silhouette features one of the banks in Saltcoats. This brick structure, built in 1906, was owned and operated by the Bank of British North America, then The... Read more
The Métis are one of Saskatchewan’s founding people and have contributed to Saskatchewan’s social, cultural, economic and political fabric. Métis settlements in what is now Saskatchewan predated the development of an agrarian society ... Read more
The Stone Shed  (References from “Saltcoats Roots and Branches”) The stone shed was built around 1890 by Stone Mason Donald MacDonald. Over the years the stone structure was first used as a stable for the nearby Henry Reimer Hotel. Som... Read more
The Blahey Planters and Picnic site Located in the 100 block of High Street across from the Laketown Hotel. A mini park along the Heritage Walking Trail that includes a lovely picnic table and benches, and two huge flower pots donated in me... Read more
  Gordon Barnhart Heritage Walking Trail This walking trail extends from Hill Street and the Immigration Hall Garden to the Heritage Trail Gazebo on Crescent Lake Road. It honours a local son, Gordon Barnhart, who served as Saskatchewan’... Read more
Firefly Promontory Located on the lakeside at the corner of High St. and Crescent Lake Road. Promontory - A piece of land projecting out into the lake. A great lookout for bird watching or relaxing in one of the colourful  Adirondack chair... Read more
Heritage Trail Gazebo Located on the lakeside corner of Crescent Lake Road and Commercial St. A gazebo with a table and chairs. It overlooks the lake. It is wheelchair accessible. It houses many historical plaques with write-ups about Saltc... Read more
Gunn Park On the lakeside of 100 block Crescent Lake Road.  In the 1970s, as the lots on the lakeside of Crescent Lake Road were sold, it became a concern of the council that a certain number of places should provide reasonable and attract... Read more
Stone Wall – in Gunn Park This wall, begun in the late 1970s, shows the craft of Cliff Erratt, farmer, amateur stonemason, ball coach, and builder of community. It is a tribute to pioneers and was a labour of love. Cliff was encouraged by... Read more
Legion Park/Arboretum In 1967 the Saltcoats Centennial Playground, a little gem of a park, was built. This public space is tucked away inside a block and is bordered by back alleys - Crescent Lake Road to the east, York Street to the north... Read more
Cottage Hospital Plaque Located in the NE corner of Legion Park/Arboretum The Cottage Hospital was one of the first established in the North West Territories.  It was described (Winnipeg Free Press 1906) as “a commodious institution prov... Read more
A lovely greenspace in Memory of Wilf and Peg Thorsness, builders of this Community. The large green area includes a bench in memory of Peter Koleniuk, their son-in-law. Thorsness Grove is named for the Thorsness Family. Wilf, Peg, and fami... Read more
-  located along the South side of Tupper Street 100 spruce trees were planted in 2022 in Honour of Valerie (Kerr) Trowell's 100 birthday by her family. Valerie was born on a farm just South of Saltcoats and has called Saltcoats home for ... Read more
- located on the North side of Tupper Street.  In commemoration of Bertrand D. Kirkham whose vision and labor is responsible for these rows of trees running the length of Tupper Street. Bert first planted them in 1991 and tended them for m... Read more
Cairn – Village of Saltcoats Adjacent to the cemetery along Highway 16 This cairn was erected for the Celebrate Saskatchewan celebration. It was unveiled in June 1980 by long-time Saltcoats resident Miss Mary MacNutt. The inscription on t... Read more
Performing Arts Historical Silhouette Located on a power pole in front of Saltcoats and District Town Hall on 200 block Glasgow St. Saltcoats is a community rich in Arts and Culture - amateur dramatics, chautauquas, orchestras, dance bands,... Read more
Saltcoats District Regional Park Board was formed in 1962. In addition to the lake and swimming beach, there are ball diamonds, a playground, camping areas, a concession booth, a pavilion hall to be rented for large functions, picnic table... Read more
Sorry, there wasn't any information provided for this point of interest.
located on Yellowhead Highway at the turn into Saltcoats 

 

Leave a Comment

 


 

Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide

 


 

Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.