The Commerce Walk

The Commerce Walk

Thomasville, North Carolina 27360, United States

Created By: Thomasville Tourism Commission and Thomasville Public Library

Tour Information

The .6 mile commerce walk goes by downtown businesses and Commerce Street before turning through Cate's Alley. Along this route you will see the clock tower, the fountain, a variety of shops as well as large painted murals on the outside walls of some businesses.

Tour Map

Loading Tour


What You'll See on the Tour

Visitor's Center/Train Depot

The railroad depot is one of North Carolina's oldest passenger railroad depots.  The depot now serves as the Thomasville Visitors' Center.  Built circa 1870, the depot was restored between 1975 and 1977, and again recently. In 1981, the T... Read more
42 West Main Street - 1918

The upper level of the facade is composed of stretcher bond brick except for a soldier course above and below the windows and at the cornice line.  Beneath the windows, a broad metal panel of vertical ridges with a metal mitered surround d... Read more
38 West Main Street - 1918

A three-part window with a central six-over-one sash flanked by two three-over-one sashes is the focal point of the second story of this brick building.  Pigmented structural glass remains above and around an intact storefront composed of ... Read more
34-36 West Main Street - 1918

The second-story detailing of the two-story brick building is enhanced by the use of contrasting red and yellow brick.  The cornice is corbelled and has recessed blocks of yellow brick as well as three yellow brick corbelled pendants.  th... Read more
24-32 West Main Street - 1900

A split in the brickword at the rear of this two-story brick building, between 24-26 and 28-32 West Main Street, suggest that the two sections may have been erected at different times.  The most intact section is at the east end of the row... Read more
20 West Main Street - 1935

In 1937, the building housed Stadiem's Department Store.  By the mid-1950's, the Gold Shop, women's wear, was at this location. Go Here for More Information ...
18 West Street - 1935

This one-story, brick building previously had a facade sheathed in pigmented structural glass.  It was adorned with a modest Art Deco design. Go Here for More Information ...
12 West Main Street - 1935

First quarter of the Twentieth century, three-story with mezzanine, brick building that has been greatly altered on its facade.  The plain building features rows of new windows on the third and fourth floors and a new street level elevatio... Read more
6 West Main Street - 1902

Prominent, three-story, brick corner building constructed in 1902 and greatly altered intially around 1953 and more recently.  Thomasville Drug Store occupied the first floor beginning in 1902.  State Ccommercial Bank was the principal oc... Read more
2 East Main Street

Early twentieth-century, two-story, brick building of plain ,stripped modernist design resulting from a renovation that took place in the late 1950s.  A 1947 photograph shows that the building containing Mann's Drug Store was a brick, two-... Read more
6 East Main Street

Early twentieth-century, two-story, brick building with distinctive bands of projecting brick belt courses above the five boarded-up windows on the second floor. A flat concrete coping crowns the facade.  the remnants of a Pepsi-Cola and C... Read more
8 East Main Street

Early twentieth-century, one-story, brick building with a plain facade and modern storefront composed of large metal-framed display windows and a central glass door.  A flat metal awning shelters the storefront. Go Here for More Informatio... Read more
10 East Main Street

Early twentieth-century, two-story, brick building with stepped parapet, and one-over-one sash windows on the upper floor.  A flat metal awning shelters the large glass display windows and double, metal-framed glass doors that make up the ... Read more
16 East Main Street

Early twentieth-century, two-story, brick building with metla cornice, tile coping, and a row of ten one-over-one sash windows on the upper floor, each crowned with a fanlight transom. Go Here for More Information ...
24-26 East Main Street

In the late 1920s, this building contained three business: S&S Variety, the Princess Theater, and the Palace Barber Shop. Go Here for More Information ...
32 East Main Street

Early twentieth-century, two-story, brick building with a large paneled screen covering the upper facade.  The rear elevation features arched-head windows that have been filled with brick.  In the late 1920s, Hedrick Auto occupied this bu... Read more
40 East Main Street - Late 1920's

This is a late 1920s one-story brick building with decorative band of soldier course bricks at cornice and a horizontal panel - set off by soldier course bricks - decorated with terra cotta elements above storefront.  It was formerly C. N.... Read more
2, 4, 6, 8 Commerce Street

This one-story brick building containing four separate stores dates to the late 1920s and is the oldest of the buildings now standing on Commerce Street.  2 Commerce Street housed a seafood market in the late 1920s.  In 1937, City Radio R... Read more
21 East Guilford Street - Farmer's Market & PACE Park

The Farmer's Market at PACE Park is a producer only market open to vendors certified by their County Agriculture Extension Agent and who farm in Davidson County or adjacent counties. Go Here for More Information ...
8 Memorial Park Drive - Hunter Family Amphitheater

Hunter Family Amphitheater at PACE (People Achieving Community Enhancement) Park is a downtown event space managed by Parks & Rec.  Music events, movie nights, bike rodeos, and more are held at PACE park. Go Here for More Information ...
City Cemetery - Circa 1860

Around 1860 city founder John W. Thomas donated property for use as a cemetery which became known as Willow Branch Cemetery North and South.  In 1924, the cemetery was taken over by the City and renamed, City Cemetery. City Cemetery is bel... Read more
37-41 Salem Street - Palace Theater

In the late 1920s, most of the building contained the Palace Theater.  The smaller storefronts that flanked the theater entrance held Swicewood Confectioners, 37 Salem, and a Western Union office, 41 Salem. Go Here for More Information ...
7 West Guilford - Former Thomasville City Hall, 1938

Declared the finest example of Art Deco architecture in Davidson County, the former Thomasville City Hall stands proud with tis vertical design, setbacks from the entrance bay, and facade decorated with stylized ornament in stone.  Opened ... Read more
End of Walking Tour

Sorry, there wasn't any information provided for this point of interest.


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to