William Henry Miller Lower Collegetown Architecture Walking Tour

William Henry Miller Lower Collegetown Architecture Walking Tour

Ithaca, New York 14850, United States

Created By: Ithaca Heritage

Tour Information

This tour was developed by the History Center in Tompkins County and Historic Ithaca.

William Henry Miller (1848-1922) was one of Ithaca's most prolific local architects, dramatically reshaping the skyline of Ithaca and Cornell University. After attending Cornell for two years, he began practicing locally, designing landmarks like Cornell's McGraw Tower and Uris Library, Risley Hall, Barnes Hall, and numerous private residences and local churches. Check out the corresponding PocketSights tour of downtown Ithaca for more information about his work.


Tour Map

Loading Tour

 

What You'll See on the Tour

1
Miller-Heller House

122 Eddy Street, built in 1876 William Henry Miller designed this building as his family residence, expanding it with seven major additions over the years and experimenting with medieval, Queen Anne and Swiss chalet features. The home was ... Read more
2
Mary A. Halsey House

118 Eddy Street, built in 1893-1894 Miller designed this home adjacent to his own for Mary A. Halsey, a relative of his wife. The home is now a private residence.
3
Greycourt Apartments

108-110 Eddy Street, built in 1909 Miller designed and owned this apartment building, which was originally a home for prominent widows. The terra cotta bas reliefs on the front facade are an element that Miller often utilized.
4
East Hill School

111 Stewart Avenue, built in 1880-81 The East Hill School operated as an elementary school until 1976. It was renovated in 1984 and now houses apartments.
5
William Henry Sage House

603 E. Seneca Street, built in 1877-78 William Henry Miller completed a series of houses for lumber magnate and Cornell trustee chairman Henry William Sage and his family. This building was the home of Sage's son, William Henry Sage, who w... Read more
6
Sage Carriage House

109 Sage Place, built in 1880 William Henry Miller designed this carriage house for the Sage family. It was built in 1880 and possesses many characteristics of other Miller buildings. Notable features include a steeply pitched gable, the pe... Read more
7
Cornell University Press: Henry W. Sage House

512 East State Street (112 Sage Place), built in 1876-79 When lumber magnate Henry William Sage moved to Ithaca from Brooklyn in 1875, he hired William Henry Miller to design a family compound that would reflect his prosperity. This was on... Read more
8
Schuyler House Addition

112 Sage Place, built in 1910-1911 With the adjacent Henry William Sage House being used as the Cornell Infirmary, overcrowding became an issue and the Schuyler House served as overflow. Miller designed this stucco addition to connect the t... Read more
9
Caroline B. Wood House

505 East Seneca Street, built in 1885-1886 Another building in the Sage family enclave, this home was built for Henry William Sage's sister, Caroline B. Sage Wood. Miller used brick on the first story and shingles on the second story. Th... Read more
10
Samuel D. Halliday House

510 East Seneca Street, built in 1890-1891 This home was built for New York State assemblyman, district attorney, and Cornell trustee Samuel D. Halliday before being purchased by William T. Thomas of the Thomas-Morse Aircraft Corporation... Read more
11
Original Alpha Delta Phi Fraternity

503 East Buffalo Street, built in 1878 Built for the Alpha Delta Phi fraternity, this was the first building in Ithaca to be built specifically for a fraternity. When the fraternity decided to move closer to the Cornell campus in 1905, it... Read more
12
Charles F. Blood House

414 East Buffalo Street, 1873 (remodeling); This was originally a Greek Revival house built for merchant Charles F. Blood in 1868. The house was remodeled in 1873 by William Henry Miller, who made it into Italianate Villa. Characteristic ... Read more
13
Ithaca College President's House

2 Fountain Place, built in 1891-1892 This home was built as a residence for Ithaca Organ Company owner and lawyer George R. Williams. It was one of the first houses in Ithaca to be wired for electricity. Ithaca College purchased the house i... Read more
14
Finch-Guerlac House

3 Fountain Place, built in 1840s This house was a small Greek Revival cottage when it was built in the 1840s. A Gothic Revival frontispiece was added in 1851, and the house acquired its Queen Anne characteristics (some historians would des... Read more

 

Leave a Comment

 


 

Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide

 


 

Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.