Created By: Friends of Stewart Park
Stewart Park, Ithaca's beloved public park located at the southern end of Cayuga Lake, offers a multitude of outdoor recreation and leisure opportunities set alongside an exquisite lake vista. Once a location of the Cayuga people’s village of Neodakheat, the area opened as privately-owned Renwick Park in the 1890s. On July 4, 1921, the park became Stewart Park, the City of Ithaca’s first public park, re-named for Mayor Edwin C Stewart, who generously supported the park with enthusiasm and money. but died a month before its opening.
Step onto the Cayuga Waterfront Trail to encounter the park's story, an interesting history tracing from its roots with the Cayuga Nation to a cinematic spotlight on the silent film industry, to current revitalization efforts in preparation to celebrate the park’s 100th anniversary as a public park.