Stewart Park History

History of Stewart Park

Stewart Park History

Ithaca, New York 14850, United States

Created By: Friends of Stewart Park

Tour Information

Stewart Park, Ithaca's beloved public park located at the southern end of Cayuga Lake, offers a multitude of outdoor recreation and leisure opportunities set alongside an exquisite vista of Cayuga Lake. The Park will celebrate its centennial as the City's first public park on July 4, 2021, marking a hundred years spent providing visitors from Ithaca and beyond with access to this lakefront gem. Step onto the Cayuga Waterfront Trail to encounter the park's story, a history tracing from its roots with the Cayuga Nation to a cinematic spotlight on the silent film industry to current revitalization efforts in preparation to celebrate 100 years of Stewart Park.


Tour Map

Loading Tour

 

What You'll See on the Tour

1
Stewart Park Entrance

Welcome to Stewart Park! The current main entrance to Stewart Park was created in the 1960's after the construction of Route 13. (What about the gardens? Where was the entrance before it was here? Info from surveys - how many people enter ... Read more
2
Stewart Park Trailhead

The southern end of Cayuga Lake became a bustling shipping port with the advent of the Erie Canal in the 1820's. (What is the trailhead here? I'm so confused.)
3
Picnic Pavilion

The Picnic Pavilion was constructed around 1895 and is now rented every summer for day camps and parties. The Picnic Pavilion (often called the Large Pavilion) is the public face of Stewart Park for many Ithacans and visitors to the park... Read more
4
Performance Plaza

Although this area now serves as a parking lot, it was once a gathering space for the community to enjoy a live performance by a local band. The bandstand once held the likes of the Ithaca Band, which after gaining popularity, became known ... Read more
5
Wharton Pavilion

The Wharton Pavilion once housed the Wharton brothers' silent film studio after the Renwick Park and Traffic Association leased the area to the brothers in 1915. The Wharton Studio brought in famous silent film actors from across the countr... Read more
6
Tea Pavilion

Originally built in 1895, the Tea Pavilion once served as the welcoming point for visitors of the park. Since its construction, the pavilion has been moved within the park to highlight certain attractions. After a century of being relocated... Read more
7
Fuertes Bird Sanctuary and Overlook

The Fuertes Bird Sanctuary and Overlook were dedicated to Louis A. Fuertes, a former Cayuga Bird Club president, after his death in 1927.
8
Cascadilla Boathouse

The Cascadilla Boat Club was completed in 1896 as an athletic facility for the Cascadilla School, a prep school for future Cornell students.
9
Newman Municipal Golf Course

The Newman Municipal Golf Course was made possible by Community Workers of America (CWA) workers in 1934. Before the land was filled by the workers, it was used as a city dump.
10
Renwick Wildwood

Following news of the decision by the Board of Public Works in 1913 to clear up land adjacent to fall creek, the Cayuga Bird Club began efforts to preserve the area and its wildlife. Around May of 1914, the land was declared a city park and... Read more
11
Mayor Stewart Memorial Flagpole

Sorry, there wasn't any information provided for this point of interest.

 

Leave a Comment

 


 

Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide

 


 

Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.