University of Wisconsin-Madison East CALS

This is a walking tour of the buildings in the College of Agricultural and Life Science East of Babcock Drive. Many of the buildings, construct more than 100 years ago.

University of Wisconsin-Madison East CALS

Created By: UW-Madison

Tour Information

The 20 points of interest on this path (0.68 miles) includes the UW-Madison CALS buildings East of Babcock Drive. This path starts with Ag Hall (1450 Linden Drive) and ends with Ag Bulletin (1535 Observatory Drive), formerly the heating plant. Agriculture Hall and buildings on the east and west side of Henry Mall occupy the area designated as a Henry Mall Historic District once called The Henry Quadrangle. This point is located on the Linden Drive sidewalk in front of Ag Hall.


Tour Map

Loading Tour

 

What You'll See on the Tour

1
Agricultural Hall

Agricultural Hall – (1450 Linden Drive) ) (built 1903) became home for most of the agricultural programs at the time. Many of these programs became departments and soon had their own buildings. Today it is home to college administration, ... Read more
2
Nutritional Sciences

Nutritional Sciences – (1415 Linden Drive) (built 1931) - Following the extensive renovation of the 1931 Wisconsin Orthopedics Hospital the widely dispersed faculty of Nutritional Sciences moved to the newly designated Nutritional Science... Read more
3
Taylor Hall

Taylor Hall: (427 Lorch Street) – (built 1951) initially served housing dormitory for medical staff including interns. In 1963, it changed to a home for the department of occupational therapy, which was later replaced by the department of... Read more
4
Stovall Laboratory of Hygiene

Stovall Laboratory of Hygiene – (465 Henry Mall) – (built 1953) was established in 1903 to provide diagnostic services to state residents with the urging of H. L. Russell. The lab provides facilities and expertise in the diagnosis of di... Read more
5
Genetics

Genetics (445 Henry Mall) (built 1961) served the medical genetics and animal genetics until 1994. Since 1989, WISCIENCE (the Wisconsin Institute for Science Education and Community Engagement) has collaborated with educators at all levels... Read more
6
Genetics - Biotechnology

Genetics - Biotechnology Center (425 Henry Mall) (built 1993) houses the oldest genetics department established in 1910 as the Department of Experimental Breeding. Its history includes R. A. Brink who brought hybrid corn to Wisconsin, tripl... Read more
7
Henry Mall Historic Plaque

Henry Mall historic plaque (referred to as a boulder) was dedicated in 1924..Henry Quadrangle Plaque: The Henry Quadrangle in recognition of the 'Pioneer Service of Dean William Arnon Henry to the science and practice of agriculture in this... Read more
8
DeLuca Biochemistry Building

DeLuca Biochemistry Building (420 Henry Mall) built in 1912, has been this department's home from the start. Scientists working in this department made many important discoveries. Some of the discoveries include: 1. Vitamin A in butterfat a... Read more
9
DeLuca Biochemical Sciences

DeLuca Biochemical Sciences Building – (440 Henry Mall) was constructed in 1904 and home of the Agronomy Department until 1930. It then became home to Genetics until 1963, Dairy Science until 1972, and Agricultural Journalism, now called ... Read more
10
Agricultural Engineering

Agricultural Engineering – (460 Henry Mall)     (built 1905) was the first building on campus constructed using reinforced concrete. Agricultural Engineering Department, now called Biological Systems Engineering (BSE). The American So... Read more
11
W. D. Hoard Statue

The statue at the north end of the mall recognizes William D. Hoard who encouraged dairying across the state of Wisconsin. He was the founder of Hoard’s Dairyman magazine in 1885, still popular more than 130 years later. Hoard served as c... Read more
12
Bock Labs

This building is a research laboratory with no classrooms that was constructed in 1966. This interdisciplinary facility is referred to as Molecular Biology, but was built for researchers from Bacteriology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Medical Ge... Read more
13
Moore Hall

Moore Hall (1575 Linden Drive) – Agronomy vacated its original building on Henry Mall in 1930 and a new facility was constructed and attached to the east side of the horticulture building. The new building was named Moore Hall, after the ... Read more
14
Horticulture

Horticulture – (1575 Linden Drive) – (built 1910) Horticulture was one of the earliest departments in the college. The department was originally in a section of Soils Physics which is now King Hall/Soils. In 1910 this new Horticulture b... Read more
15
D. C. Smith Greenhouse

D. C. Smith Greenhouse – (465 Babcock Drive) – The D. C. Smith greenhouses have won several architectural awards for design. They are used for instruction and experimentation in plant breeding and disease and insect control. D. C. Smith... Read more
16
Microbial Sciences

Microbial Sciences – (1550 Linden Drive) - Opened in 2007, Microbial Sciences houses the Departments of Bacteriology and Medical Microbiology & Immunology (MMI) as well as the Food Research Institute (FRI). The first Bacteriology prof... Read more
17
Hiram Smith Hall

Hiram Smith Hall – (1545 Observatory Drive) – (built 1892) was the first major construction on the current agriculture campus and was home to the first Dairy School in the country. The dairy program was moved from South Hall where Babco... Read more
18
Hiram Smith Annex

Hiram Smith Annex (built 1910) adjacent to the Hiram Smith was designed to alleviate the crowding in the agriculture long courses. It was designed to support dairy related course. The dairy program outgrew their space and moved to Babcock H... Read more
19
Soil Science and King Hall

Soil Science and King Hall – (1535 Observatory Drive) – (built 1894, 1898) first housed the Horticulture and Agricultural Physics Departments. Today it is home to the Soil Science Department. In 1904, Agricultural Physics was divided in... Read more
20
Agricultural Bulletin Building

Agricultural Bulletin Building – (1535 Observatory Drive) – (built 1899) served as the college heating plant which replaced the heating system in Hiram Smith. This building served as the heating and machine shop until 1937 when it becam... Read more

 

Leave a Comment

 


 

Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide

 


 

Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.