Mill Race Village, Northville

Mill Race Village

Mill Race Village, Northville

Northville, Michigan 48167, United States

Created By: Northville Historical Society

Tour Information

The Mill Race Historical Village was established in 1972 as a site for relocating buildings faced with demolition. That year the City of Northville donated the New School Church to the Northville Historical Society and it was the first structure moved to this site. The society's focus has been the preservation and display of architectural styles and furnishings of the nineteenth century. The Gazebo and Hirsch Blacksmith Shop are reproduction buildings.

The purpose of the Northville Historical Society is to bring together those people interested in history, and especially in the history of Northville, Michigan. The Society’s major function is to discover, collect, observe, advance, and disseminate knowledge of the history of the Northville region.

Join our mailing list here: Sign Me Up!

Tour Map

Loading Tour


What You'll See on the Tour

Barr Sculpture

Designed in 1992 by renowned local sculptor David Barr, this sculpture representing a Victorian era boy at play welcomes visitors to the Village.
Interurban Station

Built in the late 1800s at Haggerty and Baseline (Eight Mile) roads, it was moved to the Village in 1990. This small building served as the waiting room for the Farmington Line’s high speed electric transit system that ran through Northvi... Read more
J. M. Mead General Store

Built between 1830 and 1850, the original structure was the last timber-framed building standing in downtown Northville. Taken apart board by board and reconstructed using some of the original materials, the reconstructed store was complete... Read more
Cady Inn

Believed to be an early coach stop, the saltbox style building was moved to the Village in 1987 from the north side of Cady Street, two blocks east of Center Street. It currently houses the Northville Historical Society Office and Archives.... Read more
Hirsch Blacksmith Shop

The original building, which stood on the corner of Main and Hutton streets, was in use from the mid-1800’s until its demolition in 1930. Completed in 1985, this replica now houses a working “smithy” on one side and a rotating exhibit... Read more
Wash Oak School

Moved to the Village in 1975, this building served Washtenaw and Oakland counties as a one-room school from 1873 to 1966. It was originally located on the west side of Currie Road, between Seven and Eight Mile roads. Today it is still used ... Read more
New School Church

Built in 1845 by a splinter group of the Presbyterian Church of Northville, it served as a church for only four years. Later, it was used as a school, a township hall, a Salvation Army barracks and as Northville’s library for 70 years. Th... Read more
Hunter House

This classic Greek Revival home, with half-gabled wings, was built by Stephen and Mary Hunter in 1851 and moved to the Village in 1972 from it's original location on the south side of Main Street at Griswold. The house serves as a house mus... Read more
Yerkes House

This house was built in 1873 by Sarah (Cady) Yerkes and William Purdy Yerkes, children of early Northville settlers. The home originally stood on the south side of Cady Street between Church and Center streets. The nine-room house features ... Read more
The Gazebo

Modeled after late Victorian Era style gazebos, it was added to the Village in 1979 and is available to rent as part of our wedding package.
The Weaver's Cottage

Built circa 1889 in the Victorian Cottage style on the east side of Center Street between Lake and Rayson, this cottage was home to the Sessions family in the 1920s and later housed Morse Dairy hired hands. Moved to the Village in 1976, it ... Read more
The Bridge

Added to the Village in 1975, the bridge was modeled after the Old North Bridge in Concord, MA, the site of the first battle of the Revolutionary War in 1775.
Bell Pier

Built in 2008, the pier supports a 24” bell manufactured by the American Bell Foundry of Northville in operation from the 1890s through the 1930s, a company known world-wide for its dinner bells and bells for churches, schools, farms, and... Read more


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to