University of Wisconsin-Madison West CALS

This walking tour passes by many historic buildings west of Babcock Drive. These buildings are homes to researchers who made important research discoveries.

University of Wisconsin-Madison West CALS

Created By: UW-Madison

Tour Information

Ag Dean's House (620 Babcock Drive) is the starting point for the West UW-Madison College of Agricultural and Life Sciences buildings west of Babcock Drive. The distance of the path is about one mile. There are 21 building on this path with a brief description of each building. The ending location is the Walnut Street Greenhouses on the corner of Observatory Drive and Walnut Street.


Tour Map

Loading Tour

 

What You'll See on the Tour

1
Agricultural Dean’s House and Allen Centennial Garden

620 Babcock Drive Built in 1896  This yellow brick house  was the private residence of the first dean of the college, W. A. Henry. It served as the residence of the deans who followed him until 1945, when then-dean E. B. Fred became univ... Read more
2
Steenbock Memorial Library

Steenbock Memorial Library 550 Babcock Drive Built in 1969 With space for 1,300 students and faculty, Steenbock Memorial Library is the primary library for the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, School... Read more
3
Russell Laboratories

Russell Laboratories Built in 1962 1630 Linden Drive Russell Laboratories houses the entomology, plant pathology and forest and wildlife ecology departments. In 1990, an addition was added to provide space for the latter, which at the time ... Read more
4
Babcock Hall

Babcock Hall 1605 Linden Drive Built in 1951, expanded in 1990, current renovation/expansion expected to be completed in 2020 Babcock Hall houses the Department of Food Science and the Center for Dairy Research, as well as the Babcock Hall ... Read more
5
Babcock Hall Dairy Store

Babcock Hall Dairy Store 1605 Linden Drive Built in 1951 The Babcock Hall Dairy Store is a market for ice cream, cheese and other dairy products that are made in campus’ Babcock Hall Dairy Plant, which is also located in Babcock Hall. The... Read more
6
Stock Pavilion

Stock Pavilion  1675 Linden Drive Built in 1908 The Stock Pavilion, which seats 2,000 in the main arena, was the largest gathering place in Madison until 1930. It was designed to host livestock shows and provide a home for the university... Read more
7
Robert P. Hanson Biomedical Science

Robert P. Hanson Biomedical Sciences Laboratories 1656 Linden Drive Built in 1964 The Robert P. Hanson Biomedical Sciences Laboratories are housed administratively in the School of Veterinary Medicine. Besides doctor of veterinary medicine ... Read more
8
Animal Science Building

Animal Science Building 1675 Observatory Drive Built in 1972 The Animal Science Building houses the Department of Animal Sciences and the Department of Dairy Science. The building contains offices, laboratories and classrooms. The departmen... Read more
9
Agricultural Engineering Laboratory

Agricultural Engineering Laboratory 540 Elm Drive Built in 1960, additions in 1968 and 1981 Agricultural Engineering Laboratory is an instructional and research laboratory used for farm machinery, livestock housing, animal manure management... Read more
10
Livestock Laboratory

Livestock Laboratory 1810 Linden Drive Built in 1992 The Livestock Laboratory, formerly known as the Large Animal Holding Facility, is used for teaching and research in cattle, swine, sheep and goats. In 1979, a faculty committee justified ... Read more
11
Horse Barn

Horse Barn 520 Elm Drive Built in 1868 The Horse Barn, originally referred to as the farm barn, housed livestock and draft horses. In about 1899, the barn was redesigned for draft horses to work the nearby fields and was renamed the Horse B... Read more
12
Meat Science and Muscle Biology

Meat Science and Muscle Biology 1805 Linden Drive Built in 1930 with renovations in 1959 and 1969 Meat Science and Muscle Biology is a research and instructional program that is part of the Animal Sciences Department. The building is also h... Read more
13
Dairy Cattle Center

Dairy Cattle Center 1875 Linden Drive Built in 1954 and renovated in 2013  The Dairy Cattle Center is an 84-stall barn, home to some of the Department of Dairy Science’s research herd. Visitors are welcome at the milking center to obser... Read more
14
Dairy Barn

Dairy Barn 1915 Linden Drive Built in 1898 The Dairy Barn’s design was inspired by the rural architecture of Normandy, France. Agricultural physics and soil science professor F. H. King and other faculty provided significant input into th... Read more
15
U.S. Dairy Forage Research Center

1925 Linden Drive Built in 1980-1981 The U.S. Dairy Forage Research Center is a cooperative effort among the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Agricultural Research Service, the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and other land grant univers... Read more
16
1910 Linden Drive

1910 Linden Drive Built in 1957 This building, which bears its street address as its official name, replaced a previous genetics research barn which burned to the ground on this site in 1955. The fire caused the loss of a large number of po... Read more
17
Meat Science and Animal Biologics Discovery Building

Meat Science and Animal Biologics Discovery Building  1930 Linden Drive To be completed in 2019 The Meat Science and Animal Biologics Discovery Building will house the Meat Science and Muscle Biology program. The mission of the new facili... Read more
18
Poultry Research Lab

Poultry Research Laboratory 1925 Observatory Drive Built in1957  The Poultry Research Laboratory replaced a building located at 1800 University Avenue and was constructed at the same time as the Genetics Research Barn. The lab contains inc... Read more
19
Biotron

Biotron   2115 Observatory Drive Opened in 1967   The Biotron is a controlled environment facility which provides researchers space for the study of plants and animals. After many years of planning and securing funds, the facility became ... Read more
20
Walnut Street Greenhouses

Walnut Street Greenhouses 525 Walnut Street Opened in 1954 The Walnut Street Greenhouses were constructed to meet the needs of researchers in the departments of agronomy, genetics, horticulture, plant pathology, soils and entomology that we... Read more

 

Leave a Comment

 


 

Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide

 


 

Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.