Fort Leonard Wood Historic Tour

Visit historic sites on Fort Leonard Wood

Fort Leonard Wood Historic Tour

Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri 65473, United States

Created By: Pulaski County Tourism Bureau & Visitors Center

Tour Information

Powered by Pulaski County Tourism Bureau

Fort Leonard Wood is home to the Army's Maneuver Support Center which trains over 80,000 engineering, chemical defense and military police enlisted soldiers each year. Named after General Leonard Wood, an Army surgeon, the post opened in 1941. The drive takes approximately 1 hour 15 minutes. Allow additional time to enjoy the musueums, trails and parks. Complimentary printed peice to enhance this tour is available from the Pulaski County Visitors Center or from the PulaskiCountyUSA website.

Tour Map

Loading Tour


What You'll See on the Tour

Fort Leonard Wood Main Gate Entrance

The tour starts here at the Sverdrup Gate, also known as the "Main Gate" on Missouri Ave. In 1940 the War Department decided to establish a major training area in the Seventh Corps area.  This command comprised most of the states in the ce... Read more
Old Post Headquarters

Historic markers note location of the original Post Headquarters which as built in 1941 and was demolished in 2012. You will see remains of the foundation.  Note the rock walls.  These were built by German POW's during WWII. You will find... Read more
Joint Services Park

This park was established in honor of all branches of the military that train on Fort Leonard Wood.  Take some time to visit the military equipment and read about the Marines, Navy, Coast Guard, Air Force and Army.
Fire Baptized Cemetery

Most  interred here were born in the late 1800’s. The stone work was built by the German POW's during WWII. Three of the 13 people buried there died in 1934, with two unrelated people dying within three days of each other.  Interments ... Read more
Garrison Chapel

Formally the Main Post Chapel.
Old Post Chapel

Currently used as offices
Baker Theater

Formally used as a movie theater this location is used for various graduation ceremonies.
Gammon Field

This has been used as the Post's main parade field since 1941.  The field is named in honor of Staff Sergeant Archer T. Gammon of Company A, 9th Armored Infantry Battalion, 6th Armored Division.  On February 13, 1946, he posthumously rece... Read more
"Green" Bridge

This bridge is made of 100% recyclable plastic and weighs 1/3 the weight of a normal bridge.
Nutter Field House

This was built in 1942 to provide recreational facilities for soldiers at Fort Leonard Wood.  It has a roof truss system unusual in these types of facilities. It was named for Second Lieutenant Daniel L. Nutter of 25th Armored Engineer Bat... Read more

Twenty-five years after the founding of our airport facility, the USO has expanded to serve the troops stationed at Ft. Leonard Wood. We are fortunate to add a "touch of home" with our 18,000 sq ft. facility located right on post. With the ... Read more
Abrams Reel Time Theater

Used as a theater and venue for meeting space.
Mahaffey Museum Complex

Finished in 1970, this hall was originally constructed to serve as a service club for soldiers, known as Walker Recreation Center.  It is now home to the museums for the Engineer, Chemical Corps, and Military Police.  Learn about history ... Read more
Fort Leonard Wood Military Vehicle Complex

Check out our phone app for this outdoor military vehicle museum.
Fort Leonard Wood Museum - WWII Complex

Check out our phone app for the WWII Museum Complex.  Be sure to stop in the barrak featuring the German Prisoners of WII. ...
Soldiers Memorial Park

Features a walk way between the memorials for the Engineer, Chemical Corps and Military Police.  The Chemical Corps and Military Police memorials were brought to Fort Leonard Wood in 1999 upon the closing of Fort McClelland, Alabama.  Ove... Read more
German POW Stone work

Another area featuring the stone work by German POW's.
Piney Valley Golf Course

This 18 hole golf course and club house is open to the public
One lane bridge

Built in the 1940s.  The jetty and retaining wall was built by the German POW.
Rolling Heath One-Room School

The Rolling Heath School House, circa 1912, is the only existing pre-installation building on Fort Leonard Wood.   Grades 1-8 were taught here until 1941 when the government took over the land for the building of Fort Leonard Wood.  The ... Read more
Rolling Hills Trail

Located behind the one room school, this trail is approximately 1 mile.  Restroom facilities are located at the trailhead.
Happy Hollows Picnic Area

Beautiful picnic area along the Big Piney River.  Across the river you can see the parking area for Stone Mill Spring.
Stone Mill Spring - parking area

Park and walk down trail approximately .25 mile to beautiful Stone Mill Spring.  With a flow of 18 million gallons of water a day, the spring provides excellent fishing and is stocked with rainbow trout.  The site is named for a historic ... Read more
Miller Cave

This primative cave offers one of Pulaski's most senic views of the Big Piney River.  The hike to the cave is steep.  As you enter the cave and stoop through the walk way the cave opens up, a creek runs through the back of the cave, with ... Read more
Colyer Park

Many family events are held in Colyer Park such as Movie in the Park which is shown in the photo.  Pavillion, picnic and play areas available.
General Leonard Wood Army Community Hospital

This hospital was completed August 15, 1965.  The next stop on the tour is the location of the original hospital.
Fort Leonard Wood Hospital

This is the site of the original hospital which was a cantonment style hospital (many different buildings and no hallways linking them).  It was comprised of 2,000 beds and was operational from 1941 until 1965.

This is the home to MANSCEN the current headquarters.
Railroad Area

When Fort Leonard Wood was being built during the early 1940s most of the supplies were brought in by railroad.  People from around the midwest came to the area to build the fort living in Waynesville or setting up camp in Saint Robert. ...
Military Vehicle Display

As you depart Fort Leonard Wood, this park offers a few additional military equipment displays.
Garlington House

The Garlington House was built during the early month of 1941 as a Major General's quarter and housed commanders of the "Engineer Replacement Training Center" (ERIC).  It was located on the country road between the little towns of Waynesvi... Read more
Main Post Cemetery

The Post Cemetery is the largest and newest cemetery on post, with more than 600 marked graves. Four graves belong to World War II prisoners of war, two identified as German, one with a German last name and one with an Italian name. A large... Read more
Rockwell Cemetery

The Rockwell Cemetery lies near the Technology Park with 43 marked graves. It is home to a World War II veteran and a private with 130th Machine Gun Battalion, 55th Division. It also contains the person born the earliest of all Fort Leonard... Read more


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to