Tour created by Lake Forest Preservation Foundation.
Each year the Lake Forest Preservation Foundation honors individuals and organizations who have demonstrated a commitment to excellence in the preservation of Lake Forest's architectural heritage. The recipients of the 2020 Awards were announced in October 2020.
There are five categories of awards, the first four based on the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties, with an additional category for new construction or infill. Judging is based on the ten standards from the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation.
- Preservation: Maintaining the historical integrity and character of a structure or landscape through conservation, maintenance and repair.
- Rehabilitation: Continuing the use of a historic structure through repair, alterations and additions while protecting its historical, cultural and architectural character. Includes adaptive reuse.
- Restoration: Recovering, revealing or representing the state of a historic structure or landscape as it appeared at a particular time in history.
- Reconstruction: Recreating the form, features and details of a historic structure or landscape through new construction.
- New Construction or Infill: Building new construction that demonstrates exemplary contextual compatibility in an established neighborhood.