Created By: Goulbourn Township Historical Society
Richmond is the oldest settlement in Carleton County. Laid out in 1818, it was to be a supply depot for one of the new townships being set up as a defence against American invasion. It was populated by soldiers of the 100th regiment of Foot, raised in Ireland for service in Canada, and renamed the 99th in 1816. It was named after the Duke of Richmond who paid a visit to the settlement in August 1919 and died nearby shortly afterwards from rabies, reportedly caused by the bite of a pet fox. The fox has become a humorous symbol of Richmond.
The new settlement straddled the Jock River which was then considered a useful transport route. However the building of the Rideau Canal made Bytown, (later named Ottawa), a more important centre for immigrants and new settlers. The military withdrew its support of Richmond in 1822 but the village continued to be the headquarters for the settlement of Goulbourn Township, and in 1850, it became the first municipally incorporated village in Carleton County.