Sandwich Historical Properties Tour

Explore the rich history of Sandwich, Cape Cod's first town.

Sandwich Historical Properties Tour

Sandwich, Massachusetts 02563, United States

Created By: Sandwich Historical Commission

Tour Information

Antique homes, historic sites and landscapes are significant features of Sandwich. This Historical PropertiesTour honors the town’s history and the stewardship that has preserved its special character over the years.

Tour Map

Loading Tour


What You'll See on the Tour

TOUR #1 BEGINS HERE: Once a tinware and stove shop that burned to the ground in 1908. It was rebuilt using the same plan and has housed many businesses over the last 100 years.
Spotted Cod. This was once a 19th century apothecary shop.
Built as a wedding gift from her father who owned the tavern next door. In 1826, Nancy Freeman Fessenden married Captain Ezra Nye and moved into this new house after the wedding. Nye was a prominent sea captain who sailed his clipper ship A... Read more
Nancy’s grandfather, Rev. Benjamin Fessenden, served as the Sandwich town minister from 1725 to 1746. In 1729 his supporters built him a home here at 149 Main Street. After he died, his son William (Nancy's father) converted the home into... Read more
The town purchased the former Cooperative Bank building in 1977 relieving pressure at the time to rebuild the interior of the old Town Hall. The building is on the site of what was known as the "Boyden Block" owned by William Ellis Boyden. ... Read more
In 1639 this spot was set aside for public use and a thatched-roof Meetinghouse was built. In 1704 it was replaced by a larger, 2-story Meetinghouse. Town meetings were held here and it was also home to a Calvinist/Congregational parish. Bu... Read more
Rev. Asahel Cobb who was a minister in the Calvinist Church until he resigned in 1842. In the early 20th century it included the first small shop in town to sell antique Sandwich glass. The re-appreciation of Sandwich glass began here. ...
Capt. Nichols was a whaling captain out of New Bedford who retired to Sandwich. During the Civil War many young men learned to play the new game of base ball. When some returned to Sandwich, they played the first game on Cape Cod in Novemb... Read more
Mill Creek Park offers a comfortable resting stop for visitors providing welcome shade and convenient benches. There are bronze plaques explaining the neighboring historic structures. It was redesigned by the Sandwich 375 Anniversary Commit... Read more
Eaton Memorial Park. It was created in 1911 by William Eaton to remember the soldiers and sailors from Sandwich who served in the Civil War. Sandwich was the first Cape Cod town to field a military unit. From a town of approximately 3,500, ... Read more
#6 Grove street was built in 1888 by Benjamin Gibbs Bartley (born June, 1857) and presented as a gift to his new wife, Theodora Newcomb. They named it “Bendora,” derived from their names: BENjamin and TheoDORA. They were married on Octo... Read more
Peter Newcomb, of Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, had the first tavern in town and was noted far and wide for hospitality. The house stands much as it was originally built, except the north side, which has had improvements. In the time of the... Read more
The #10 Grove Street story starts with Seth Pope. Known as “Seth the Trader” he is part of Sandwich legend. Seth came to town in 1670 reportedly with a backpack containing needles, thread and other portable peddling items. Through some ... Read more
The first town burying ground, this cemetery was constructed in 1663 and last used in 1939. Most of Sandwich's earliest families are buried here. The oldest known grave is of 7-week old Thomas Clark who died in 1683. The second oldest is Th... Read more
The First Parish Meetinghouse (at today's 143 Main Street) had served as the religious and political center of the village of Sandwich into the early 19th century. However, the need for a new civic building was prompted by the formal separa... Read more


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to