Southport, NC African American Heritage Tour

Places of interest that reflect the African American contribution to Southport, NC

Southport, NC African American Heritage Tour

Created By: SHS

Tour Information

This tour highlights the contributions of African Americans to the history of Southport, NC


Tour Map

Loading Tour

 

What You'll See on the Tour

1
Miss Dollie’s Store/Dance Hall/Wood Yard 501 N. Howe St.

Miss Dollie’s Store/Dance Hall/Wood Yard 501 N. Howe St. Mrs. Dollie Evans, a widowed mother of one daughter, had the reputation of being the “hardest working woman in town”. She owned and operated a grocery store that also served as ... Read more
2
Mr Willie’s Ice Cream Parlor and Pool Hall

Willie McKenzie was not only one of the first African American men to own a business in Southport, he was also one of the most popular. Several generations of children and adults have fond memories of Mr. Willie and his homemade ice cream. ... Read more
3
McCoy-Green Funeral Home

In 1926, Bud McCoy retired from the Navy. During his twenty years in the military he had served aboard 24 ships, made three trips around the world and participated in a world war. He was ready to settle down. He opened a Funeral Home to ser... Read more
4
Dexter Clemmon’s Hi-Way Cleaners

  Dexter Clemmon’s started Hi-Way Cleaners during WWII in a small wooden building not too far from Miss Dollie’s. The two businesses formed a hub around which much of the community gathered. Dexter’s business was seldom called by its... Read more
5
Pythagoras Lodge #6

 The Pythagoras Lodge #6, Prince Hall Free and Accepted Masons was organized in 1871. For many years the lodge was housed in a two-story white frame building. The present brick building was built on the same site as the previous structure.... Read more
6
Mt. Carmel AME Church

The Mt. Carmel AME Church building has housed two congregations in its lifetime. It was originally built in 1814 to house the Trinity Methodist Congregation of Smithville, as Southport was then known. In 1890, the building was sold to the T... Read more
7
John N Smith Cemetery

The John N. Smith Cemetery was officially established in 1880 when members of the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church(currently known as the St James AME Church) purchased the land for $15. The land, which had been owned by three former slav... Read more
8
Chief George McCracken Southport Police Department

This empty lot at 109 E. Nash St. was the original location of the Southport Police department.  Back in 1974, when George McCracken was promoted to Southport’s Chief of Police it made the papers all the way to Texas. McCracken was the ... Read more

 

Leave a Comment

 


 

Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide

 


 

Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.